I seem to be good for one of these roughly once a month.
1. Melons, in order of goodness: watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe
2. Skittles, in order of goodness: green, yellow, purple, orange, red
3. My karaoke song (there is only one) is Blondie’s “One Way or Another,” though I did sing “You Oughta Know” last night. With my boss.
4. I seem to have filled the tri-training void with online shopping — or, more accurately, speculative online window shopping, in which I fill imaginary shopping carts and never “check out.”
5. Has this blog met my cats? I don’t think it has. Say hello to Griffin and Gulliver. When I adopted them (almost eight years ago, ACK), their foster names were Frisbee and Scrabble.
6. Gin has become my go-to spirit in mixed drinks
7. I buy an iced coffee, usually from the Peet’s in the train station, almost every day. I feel guilty about this, but based on the one time I tried cold-brewing at home, it’s only marginally more expensive to buy it.
8. I’m an Olympics fiend, and if you need me between July 27 and August 12, you’ll have to pry me away from the live-streams of every! single! event!
9. On that note, I’m going to the Olympic trials for gymnastics, and between that and going to the US figure skating championships earlier this year, I feel like I’m doing very right by the 14-year-old version of me.
10. I could easily chew a whole pack of Orbit Sweet Mint gum every day.
11. I grew up obsessed with Sassy magazine, and I still have about a dozen issues. I should have the complete archives from 1991-1994, but I got cavalier about it as a teenager and threw them away.
12. I love airports and pretty much everything about the experience of flying (except for security and the five minutes immediately surrounding takeoff/landing).
13. My greatest talent is probably packing suitcases.
14. I need six more states to get to 50: the Dakotas, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, and Hawaii.
15. Pete and I have lived in our current apartment for nearly four years, meaning it’s the place I’ve lived the longest besides my childhood home.
16. Between the end of my sophomore year of college and the start of my senior year of college, I moved six times and lived in three states (Evanston, IL sophomore dorm -> Erie, PA temporary intern housing -> Erie sublet -> Evanston junior year apartment -> Santa Clara, CA sublet -> Erie sublet -> Evanston senior year apartment). For most of that time, I slept on an Aerobed. Nothing makes you feel less rooted than the ability to roll up your bed into a duffel bag.
17. I miss football season.
18. A cycling jersey is probably the least-flattering thing I’ve ever put on my body.
19. I also look extremely strange in shorts that are not meant for running, dress pants, and blazers/suit jackets.
20. I got a book idea a year ago and haven’t stopped thinking about it since, so I guess I should maybe get serious about doing something about that. Maybe.